What Causes The Garage Door To Go Off Track?
There can be many reasons why a garage door goes off track. Emergencies happen everyday. Below is a list of possible causes:
- When backing the car out the garage, the door may get hit. Many times we push the button to open the garage door and it may not open all the way. You may not look to make sure the door is open. Bang! a loud noise and off track goes the garage door.
- If the car was not pulled all the way into the garage and if the garage door opener settings were maxed out the garage door hits the car and goes off track.
- A Broom, Bike, trash can or some object was leaning on the side of the garage where the garage door closes. When the garage door is closing the object got in the way and forced the garage door to go off track.
- If your garage door is 10+ years old, the more possibility of the metal getting fatigued. You may see splits in the garage door on the middle sections. If the garage door splits the sections begin to bow in and eventually one side or the other will fall out of the track. Hinges may start to ripe or break.
- The torsion cable(s) are loose (wires on the side of the garage door). If the cable falls off the torsion drum it can make the garage door crooked. This may cause a roller or two come out of the track.
- If the torsion springs (that big coil(s) above the garage door are not properly installed or calibrated, if the garage door is manually lifted (by hand) to fast the garage door can get off track.
The homeowner tried to repair a garage door off track himself!
Let a Professional Garage Door Service Technician Do it for you.
How to Fix a Garage Door Off Track
Highly recommend to call a professional Garage Door Repair Company. This is not a DIY project. A broken garage door spring is very dangerous and unless you have been trained in the functions and installation of garage doors a homeowner is better off calling someone for help.
Every time a customer calls our specialists will always recommend the homeowner to NOT touch the garage door for safety reasons. Now a minor repair turns into a major repair or even replacement of the garage door.
**DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX A GARAGE DOOR OFF TRACK YOURSELF.
EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. COULD CAUSE SERIOUS BODILY INJURY OR DEATH!**
Looking for a new LiftMaster Garage Door opener?
A1 Affordable Garage Door Repair are an authorized LiftMaster Dealer and carry several different options. Chaindrive, beltdrives or a wallmount garage door opener. Our customers favorite is the 3/4 hp 8550W beltdrive opener.