There are multiple reasons why a garage door isn’t opening or closing. It’s a common sign of a garage door problem. First, determine if you have a broken garage door spring. If you already have verified that your garage door has a broken spring, you can skip ahead.
Wondering how to verify that your garage door has a broken spring? If your garage door is not opening or closing it could most likely indicate that you have a broken spring. Typically, a garage door with a broken spring may cause your garage door opener to sound like it is straining to open or close. If you heard a loud firecracker noise from the inside of your garage, there is a good chance that it was the sound of your garage door spring breaking.
Can You Open a Garage Door with a Broken Spring?
The question is more likely “Should you open your garage door with a broken spring?” It is certainly possible to open a garage door with a broken spring. You can open your garage door with a broken spring, but it is not recommended if you can avoid it. Doing so, can further damage your garage door and result in expensive repairs.
Do not attempt to open your garage door with your opener if you have a broken spring. Further problems can result, such as stripping gears in your garage door opener, burning up the motor of the opener, and damaging garage door panels or railings. Manually opening a broken garage door can be a hazard due to the weight and force.
It is best to call a garage door professional when your garage door has broken springs or other needed repairs. You can call our professionals at A1 Affordable Garage Doors Services to address your garage door issues. We are available 24/7 to help you with your garage door emergencies.
Manually Opening a Broken Garage Door
Safety and caution should be your priority when opening a garage door manually. If you must open your garage door with a broken spring, here is a way to open it manually:
- Get assistance. Having a second person will not only help you lift the weight of the door, but it will also be a safer option.
- Consider the weight of the door (around 500lb) and know that manually opening a garage without the help of properly functioning springs will be extremely heavy and challenging. This is NOT the same as opening a garage door during a power outage or from a damaged motor!
- Be EXTREME CAREFUL! Watch out for your back, fingers, and feet. It is easy to pull your back when lifting 500lbs of weight. Don’t let your fingers get squashed between the panels or your feet squashed below the door.
- Disengage your garage door opener by pulling on the rope with a handle near the opener. Pull until you feel it unlatch.
- Cautiously lift your garage door until you reach the horizontal rails at the top. If it is simply too heavy for the two for you to lift to the top, abort the attempt.
- If you opened it, you are all done! If you were unable to open it, you can give us a call at (972) 877-5774 for professional help.
At A1 Affordable Garage Doors Repair, we are experienced in all types of garage door services. If you have a broken garage door spring or any garage door repair that needs to be addressed, give us a call today.